Sunday, February 8, 2009

Book Choices for April

I thought I'd offer some of my favorite books as choices for our April book club meeting. Little Women and Jane Eyre are two of my favorite books. I've never actually read Sense and Sensibility, but I love the story and I love Jane Austen, so I thought it'd be a good fit. Here are some descriptions, courtesy of shelfari and amazon:

Little Women:
In picturesque nineteenth-century New England, tomboyish Jo, beautiful Meg, fragile Beth, and romantic Amy come of age while their father is off to war. Despite having little money, the girls keep their spirits up with writing, gardening, homemade plays, and the occasional romp with wealthier pals. Their pal, "poor little rich boy" Laurie, joins in and becomes their adoptive brother, as the girls deal with Meg's first romance, Beth's life-threatening illness, and fears for their father's safety.

Jane Eyre:
Having grown up an orphan in the home of her cruel aunt and at a harsh charity school, Jane Eyre becomes an independent and spirited survivor—qualities that serve her well as governess at Thornfield Hall. But when she finds love with her sardonic employer, Rochester, the discovery of his terrible secret forces her to make a choice. Should she stay with him whatever the consequences or follow her convictions, even if it means leaving her beloved?

Sense and Sensibility:
Elinor and Marianne Dashwood are two strikingly different sisters. On their father's death, the Estate goes to their brother John who, encouraged by his wife, goes against his father's wishes of looking after his sisters and step-mother. They retire to a cottage in Devonshire, but not before Elinor and Edward Ferras become mutually attracted. In Devonshire Marianne falls desperately in love with John Willoughby, an attractive but unprincipled man. Each sister discovers that their suitors have become engaged to other women and the story centres on the different way they cope with this distress.

No comments: